Giving Men An Equal Voice In Divorce

What to do if your wife refuses divorce mediation in Florida

On Behalf of | Oct 23, 2023 | Divorce

Mediation is one of the best, if not the best, way to get a divorce in Florida. It is faster and not as costly as other means, and spouses have full control over their decisions. If you want to take advantage of this separation method but your wife is reluctant, here are some of the things you can do.

Reasons why your wife may not want mediation

First, given the informal nature of the mediation process, your wife might feel like she is giving up control over crucial issues. This is especially common for people who don’t fully comprehend Florida’s divorce laws or fear there are some things they might miss out on.

Second, she might be in a mental state where she is not ready for discussion with you. Remember, the entire purpose of mediation is to sit together and work out an agreement. If she is angry, hurt or resentful, she might not be open to it.

Lastly, there might be a power imbalance between the two of you. If your wife felt dominated during your marriage, she may hesitate to participate in mediation due to concerns about being overpowered again.

What you can do

Start by approaching her about mediation divorce in a non-confrontational way. For example. “I heard of this great way for us to get divorced, and I think it would benefit both of us.” Then, explain to her the process, emphasizing that it’s completely voluntary (she can stop it anytime she feels like it), and both parties have an equal say in the outcome.

It’s also essential to reassure her that you are willing to listen and negotiate for a fair outcome for both of you. Let her know that your goal is not to win against her but to find a solution that works for your family.

Ultimately, opting for mediation during a divorce is a decision that requires understanding, patience and open communication. If your spouse hesitates, respecting her feelings and perspective is essential. Remember, this whole process will be invalid if she can prove to the court that you coerced her into it.